Cataloging life from 2005-2010

This is the original blog at http://melilyn.com and is here in its entirety. Comments are closed. You can return to the main site at any time.

Deaf or Blind?

I had a dream last night, one of those long and drawn-out weird dreams. I don’t remember much about it, but at one point during the course of this dream, an old man came up to me and asked me this question:

If you were given a choice between one or the other, and could not say “neither,” which would you rather be– deaf or blind?

I don’t remember what I told him. I completely forgot about this until about halfway during the day, when I remembered it, and it made me think.

Which would I rather be, deaf or blind? Granted I was given a choice, of course. Ideally, neither, because I’m doing just fine with the five senses I have. Given a choice, I’d have to say that I’d rather be blind. I think I could live in a world without vision, without seeing people and places and being content with the pictures I still had in my head, than living without voices and music and words. Does that make any sense?

How about you? Would you rather be deaf or blind?

15 Comments to Deaf or Blind?

1. November 13, 2007 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Deaf, definitly. Both are horrible, but I’d kill myself if I went blind. I’m sometimes worried I will one day. My eyesight is everything. It’s why I write, why I do photography, and why I want to study film. I love the details in the world. I could live without hearing the hate though.

2. November 13, 2007 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Deaf, deaf, deaf, deaf and deaf. Don’t get me wrong, I love music, I love the sound of people’s voices, but I could never, ever get along without being able to see people or to read. It’s only the lesser of two evils though, to be either of them might possibly drive me insane.

3. November 13, 2007 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Tracey said exactly what I said. being a creative person I could not live without my sight. It is what makes me, me. I would rather be deaf and never hear music, or the voice of my loved ones again than to never see them again..
    Plus on the upside, there are so many great operations these days to help you hear (even just a little) but theres not much for blindness..

4. November 13, 2007 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Deaf. The ones above pretty much said everything for me.

5. November 13, 2007 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Wow, I guess I’m the crazy one here. Even though I’d have to give up just about everything I do for fun (web design, reading, writing)… I still don’t think I could survive in a world of silence… a world without music.

6. November 13, 2007 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Deaf. Deafinitely… lol sorry ;)

You can totally feel music if you turn it up enough. I love music, I love to hear, but I could do so much more, so much easier in life if I could see than if I couldn’t. Besides, I already talk to myself like a schizo so what’s the difference?

7. November 14, 2007 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Haha, like everybody else said, deaf. Moving around is a lot harder if you’re blind. You’d have to give up sports, art, computer.. I’d rather not give up either though. Which is why I’m so glad I have both..

8. November 14, 2007 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

I think I’d go for blind. I’d love to see the ones I love in their eyes, though, but being able to communicate with them, talk to them, open up to them is far more important. I couldn’t see a flower maybe, but I’d be able to hear a small stream, the rain, a frog, nature, and I’d be able to enjoy the silence too.

9. November 17, 2007 at 3:34 am | Permalink

I honestly don’t know! Both would be equally horrible, but I think if I had to pick one I’d pick deaf.
    I like when people ask questions on their blogs, it gives people an obvious reason to comment. :D

10. Caity's Gravatar Caity
    November 18, 2007 at 9:40 am | Permalink

I would have to say deaf as well… I just have so many problems remembering stuff I’m told where as I can remember sights I saw back when I was 4 years old.

11. November 18, 2007 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I’m one of those people who can’t decide. Ever. There are too many things I crave about both sight and sound that I couldn’t let go of by my own will.

It’s really amazing to me that you can choose. Truly amazing.

12. November 21, 2007 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

It reallt depends on if you mean choosing to become one of those NOW, or to have been born deaf or blind. I think I’d rather be blind, but I could never really choose.

13. November 23, 2007 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I couldn’t deal with either. I think if you’re born without that ability it’s a horrible thing but at the same time you don’t know what you’re missing. To have a sense and then to lose it much be terrible.

If I had to choose either I’d have to go for being deaf. I love drawing and reading far too much to be able to give them up. While I do love music it just doesn’t compare.

14. Angelique's Gravatar Angelique
    December 10, 2007 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I would pick deaf.

If you were blind, then you cannot do as much as you could being deaf. You have to think this question from a point of veiw that you were like this from birth.

I picked deaf because you can still see people, still type to people, still be able to do regular work. Yes, you would have a diffcult time talking with other people but, thats about the only draw back. Only about 30% of lip reading can be read. So even if you could read lips, you still wouldn’t understand half of it.

Thast my opinion honestly.

15. Sam's Gravatar Sam
    December 21, 2007 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I always find questions like this most intriguing (along with the answers) because I have been deaf from birth. Obviously I will choose deaf because this is what I know, but I still think that this is the better option because aside from not using the telephone like most people would or listening to talk radio, my hearing aids will allow me to listen to music as far as I can and join in the conversation! Plus, with the internet, I am not as cut off from the general community as I would have been twenty years ago – email is the best thing since sliced bread!! ;-)